In my head, I have a number of bucket list items I’d like to complete before I die. But recently, I’ve been thinking a lot about my travel-related ones.
Maybe it’s because I’m not planning a real, honest-to-goodness, longer than a long-weekend vacation this summer. Maybe it’s because one of the below items is dangerously close to coming true.
Or maybe it’s because I have chronic wanderlust, and I’ve no interest in finding a cure.
Anywho, my Travel Bucket List, in no particular order:
* Spend one night in the Hotel del Coronado. I first discovered this wonder back in 2006. I was in California with the then-beau, and we hit up San Fran, LA and San Diego. The Hotel del Coronado is on Coronado Island, just a short bridge away from San Diego. A group of us had drinks in the hotel, and I drooled over it. I returned to San Diego with a friend 2 1/2 years ago, and again, I drooled over this hotel. It’s painfully expensive, but you know what? I just need a night. Just one night. Look at it go!
* Go to Philadelphia and eat a cheesesteak. I grew up on Penn Station cheesesteaks, and I’m dying to try a real one.
* To to Italy in my 20s. (Yes, I just turned 29 last month. The timeframe on this is getting dangerously close to expiration.) That’s the big picture. But I’ve some small picture wants, too: to go with a girlfriend instead of a beau (Italy just strikes me as a place you go with your friends, like Vegas or Key West); to make sure I hit up no fewer than three different cities/towns/villiages (if I’m going to Italy, I ain’t staying in one place); to eat pizza in its birthplace, Naples.
*Go on Jac’s East Coast Extravaganza (yes, that’s its official name). For Jac’s ECE, we will fly into Maine, where I will stalk Stephen King. We will rent a car and follow the coast down to Florida, being sure to hit up Boston because I’ve never been; NYC to see Lindsay; Philadelphia if I haven’t yet eaten a Phili cheesesteak; DC to see the Newseum; Virginia Beach because I hear it’s pretty; Wilmington, NC, because it was awesome; Savannah, Ga., because I hear it’s beyond “pretty” and into “frickin’ gorgeous”; and end up somewhere in Florida. Maybe Belleaire Beach, because friends have a house there, or Tampa, to see my aunt and uncle.
* Go to Ireland and stay with an old lady, in a room where there’s like a dozen images of the Virgin Mary on the wall.
* Go to Scotland and visit the Laphroaig distillery.
* Go to Alaska and experience a 24-hour night.
Those are the biggies. Smallies include to visit the pyramids in Egypt; to see where my dad grew up in Andimesk, Iran; to have a memory in each of the 50 states (it doesn’t have to be an over-night experience, but I can’t just have stopped at the airport or something — I need to have done enough to create a memory); to return to the Cleveland Musuem of Art, where I discovered that I love art museums, and see my favorite painting, Thomas Cole’s “View of Florence”; and Lord knows how many others I haven’t even realized.
And yes, as I alluded to above … one of these is close to becoming a reality. I’m mum until it’s for sure, though.