Quoted and noted: On love today

22 Nov
“Sometimes 1 percent of a person can be more important than the other 99 percent.”
“Although the romantic rituals of my generation (late-night texting, loaded e-mails, Facebook stalking) may expedite courtship, they make for exceedingly dull love stories.”

I know I’ve gushed about the New York Times’ Modern Love feature, but the sentiment behind the most recent column is one dear to my heart. While I can’t begrudge how easy technology has made life, I certainly think it has seen to the downfall of many things that should not have fallen down — letter writing, knowing how to read a map or do math, making a phone call.

There are more, but perhaps one of the most important things to take a beating at the hands of technology is dating. The above quotes are from “Guns, Ammo, Romance?” a Modern Love column that details how the author fears that her romantic stories will be nothing compared to her mother’s and grandmother’s — how can they be when dating is so different today, so much less romantic?

I have every love letter ever written to me by my sixth grade boyfriend (there are kind of a lot — he wrote me letters for about seven years). They are on notebook paper and contain his very small printing. He used pencil, so it’s starting to fade.

I also have every love e-mail ever written to me by my current beau. They’re stored in my gmail account. It’s not the same, though — I don’t print them out or keep them in a binder in my closet.

Except for that one … For our third date, the beau took me to a new year’s eve party at his brother’s friend’s house. I had printed that e-mail out because it included directions to the house — he was getting there early, and I had already  made plans to go out with my friends for dinner. After, they were hitting up a bar, and I can’t think of a more terrible evening than going OUT on new year’s eve for midnight (I loathe crowds).

So after dinner, I ditched them to shouts of “Good luck!!” and “Have fun on your daaaaaate!” as I used my printed out e-mail to guide me to the party.

I found that e-mail in a drawer a few months ago. I read it, and put it on my fridge — not because I need to remember how to get to Dom’s house, but because my beau was so very detailed in giving me directions. He was so concerned that I not get lost. That, and the accompanying note was beyond sweet. He told me how much fun he’d had on our second date — which had been the night before — twice.

So I guess that’s kind of romantic … maybe I need to print out more of those love e-mails.

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Quoted and noted: On love today”

  1. PhaseThreeOfLife November 22, 2011 at 4:46 pm #

    Since Mike and I used to work for the same paper but in different offices, we corresponded a TON during the day through email after we met, as we started dating and well into the beginning of our relationship. Whole conversations back and forth and back and forth. At some point, near our first anniversary, I realized that our email system at work saved all outgoing emails forever. I had every single word we’d written to each other for our entire first year of dating. I made it into a book, included pictures we’d taken at events we referenced in the emails… I love it. It is hilarious to go back and read those emails now.

  2. Ally November 22, 2011 at 5:58 pm #

    Okay, that’s super sweet that he told you how much fun he had TWICE. 🙂
    Love letters – sigh. True romance.

  3. Sandy a la Mode November 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

    love letters?? wow that is sooo romantic!!!

I'd love to hear what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: