From the media world to the mama world

27 Sep

Shirley is the genius behind Wild Blueberry Ink, the blog and the shop full of adorable designs to incorporate into your crafts. (I might be working with some of her argyle prints for some necklaces.)

She’s here to invite you into a day in the life of a busy mom. Check it out!

Hello Snap, Crackle, Pop readers! My name is Shirley, and I am visiting here from Wild Blueberry Ink.  I am so excited to be here guesting for Jaclyn and even more excited to be one of her September sponsors.

I’m a work at home mom to Aubrey, who just turned three.  I spend my days trying to balance running my digital art business with raising a functional human being.  Some days I manage to shower and fix my hair, those days are awesome, and other days I am just happy to brush my teeth.

Aubrey is a pretty cool kid and our days are always full of lots of toddler adventures and meltdowns.  She is independent, funny , curious and bossy. We recently enrolled her into preschool two days a week with the hopes of accomplishing two major goals: Mama would hold on to her remaining sanity, and Aubrey would have something that is all hers.

I am a graphic/web designer by degree, a self taught photographer and a Martha Stewart wannabe.  I take lots of pictures, I attempt DIYs/crafts and I am slowly taking this builder grade house and turning it into our home.  In addition to my hobbies I am building my online business with the hopes that I will never have to go back to the corporate world. My blog is where I dump it all and share it with those who are bored enough to read it.

My days are hectic and I attempt to do it all in the mere 24 hours that I am given.  Here’s a little peek at how I do it.

I start my mornings around 5:30 a.m.  This gives me a couple of hours to answer emails, fill orders and prepare myself for the day. Most mornings Joseph, my husband, has to be at work at 4:30 a.m.  There are rare occasions when he gets to sleep in late and those mornings I usually find the two of them sharing her “big girl” bed, we haven’t reached the sleeping through the night stage yet.

Aubrey really isn’t a morning person (she gets that from her mama).  It usually takes me about 15 minutes to get her moving. I go in; I cut on the light; she pulls the covers over her head.  I open the blinds and cut on her VCR and blast whatever movie is heavy rotation. Right now the IT movie is “Rio.”  Some days I don’t even fight with her I just send in the “big” dogs to do my dirty work.

Once I get Aubrey out of bed, we head downstairs where I whip up the most nutritious breakfasts.  It’s a lot of work, but hey, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. At least that’s what they tell me.

After breakfast we get dressed and head off to school but first we make an important stop.  Seriously, who can start their day without coffee?

After dropping Aubrey off at school, I head back to the house.  I now have 3 1/2 hours to get as much done as I possibly can.  I usually start “my time” off with a quick run.  I am desperately trying to get that pre-Aubrey body back, and I am seriously failing!  I just recently took up running, and now I can run an entire mile without passing out in the street.  After my run, I shower, throw a load of clothes in the washer and then plant myself in front of the computer.

Before I know it’s time to head out and pick Aubrey up.  We usually run all our errands while we are out and then we head home for an afternoon of … well, just about everything. Everyday is a different activity.  You can find us doing one of our many favorite things:  We play dress up, we play Wii, we play computer games, we nap, we get a visit from Papa and we convince him to draw on the sidewalk, we craft, we have photo shoots or we just hang out. No matter what we do, I have come to love this time that Aubrey and I spend together. She is growing up so quickly, and before I know it she will be at school five days instead of two, and I will miss our time.

Once daddy gets home he cooks dinner (that’s just the safest thing for the family), and he gets Aubrey ready for bed.  He is a pretty awesome husband, and this gives me those extra couple of hours every night to finish up my work. Plus I think he enjoys that time alone with her.

Around 11 p.m. the husband and I settle in for the night to compare our days, catch up on our Netflix and discuss the plans for the next day. We usually end up debating whose turn it is to take the dogs out (it’s always his turn), and then it’s lights out because tomorrow it starts all over again.

Three years ago I was the Creative Director of a very large newspaper. I was making my way up the corporate ladder, and my only concern was my presentation for the next quarterly meeting.  Today I am tossing around the idea of homeschooling, and I am spending all my spare time scrapbooking.  It’s definitely not the life I envisioned … it’s better!

“Don’t miss all the beautiful colors of the rainbow looking for that pot of gold.”


4 Responses to “From the media world to the mama world”

  1. Suburban Sweetheart September 27, 2011 at 12:24 pm #

    Aubrey’s so cute! And all that HAIR! I’m jealous.

  2. Liz September 27, 2011 at 4:37 pm #

    Your pics are great!

  3. Kimberly Jewell September 27, 2011 at 11:22 pm #

    wonderful post… makes me want to stay at home with my baby!

  4. Tina September 28, 2011 at 12:05 am #

    Sounds like my busy day! You’re doing a super thing for that little girl! Be proud of all your hard work!

I'd love to hear what you think!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: